Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Non-starting Stag

Hi Joseph

The pool of petrol in the bottom of the inlet manifold is unfortunately
normal.

Can we focus in on the distributor again?

The LT lead comes into the distributor through a rubber grommet.  It then
goes to the upper contact set post.  Here it meets a second lead which goes
round to the lower points. Another lead goes from here to the capacitor.

Now look closer at the posts where the leads fit.  The correct order of
assembly is to fit first the opaque nylon washer over the post (this may be
a red fibre washer on some contact sets).  Then fit the spring arm.  Then
on top of this go the lead ends, then the upper opaque locating washer and
lastly the nut.  It is far too easy to fit the leads in the wrong position
so they earth on the post.
Additionally, the lead ends can get VERY close to the moving ends of the
points (I acquired a brand new Lucas distributor recently which had exactly
this defect) so it will not start, or is very intermittent.

Check the earthing lead which should be mounted on the capacitor fixing
screw, and the other end on the adjacent lower baseplate fixing screw.

One thing.  You have the later type ignition where the ballast resistor is
actually a cable built into the wiring loom.  Try by-passing this from the
upside of the ignition switch (constantly live) to the coil, to see if the
car will now start.  Thisd eliminates both the ignition switch and the
ballst resistor at the same time.

Please let me know how it goes.  Please let it be one of the above.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register