Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Gas tank from Hell

A while back I had asked the list for suggestions regarding the problems I
was having with the new gas tank I had bought for my wife's Stag. Here's a
recap (for those that came in late):

1) The old tank sprung a leak (bottom front), and appeared to be
unrepairable.

2) A new tank purchased from East Coast Jaguar (in Delaware, USA) had a
bulged top and bottom, and a drain plug that didn't match up with the drain

hole in the Stag's boot.

The best (and only) suggestions I received were to send the tank back and
get one that fit.

Being the stubborn cuss that I am, I had some problems with that:

1) Nobody wanted to admit that there was a problem with the tank I had.

2) If someone did believe there to be a problem, their opinion was "That's
the way they're making them".

3) Getting a replacement tank would take time, I would not be assured of
getting one any better than the one I already had, and if I ordered it from

across the pond there was the issue of additional shipping charges,
possibly two-way if the new one wasn't any better.

After consulting with a few other folks, I had the following done:

1) My friendly LBC mechanic eliminated most of the bulging by a combination

of a small press and well-placed hammer blows.

2) A local metal shop removed the drain plug and welded the hole up.

3) As a final indignity the threaded hole for the fuel pickup flare fitting
was too
deep and prevented the fitting from compressing the brass compression
washer. I solved this by finding a 5/16" threaded brass fitting adapter at
a local
hardware store and drilled out the hole to accept the fuel pickup tube.

An interesting experience, to say the least. I pass this on in case anyone
else
runs into the same problems.

At least the new tank doesn't leak! (So far...)

     Bruce

      Bruce A. Krobusek
          '83 R80RT
      '72 TR6  CC75665LO