Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: 1972 Stag

Hello,
I read your query through the Stag Digest forwarded by Andy Mace, VTR
President.  Your question opens my favorite..Pandoras Box or possibilities!

> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 NadineCS@domain.elided wrote:
>
> > I have a 72 Stag that has been off the road for 17 years. I don't know
> > where to start but I am considering restoring it. I live in New York
> > City. Do you have any ideas?

Depending on the quality of storage, there are many things you need to pay
attention to.  Sitting for 17 years, it will require some time, effore and
money, unless it was laid up in pristine condition.  But first, I'd like to
recommend several books that can be had thru the Vintage Triumph Registry Book
Service;

VTR c/o Herb Hummer
13201 Common Road,
Warren, MI  48093
(810) 574-9394
HHumm53@domain.elided

"Triumph Stag Restoration"  $28.00
Stag Repair Operations Manual  from Rimmers in the UK

These two books will allow you to assess your project and start a restoration
plan.

I also recommend becoming a member of a club, mainly the VTR first, but
relatively local to you is the Stag Owners Club in Pennsylvania, run by Mike
Coffey, (717-586-1810) the VTR Stag Vehicle consultant, and the Syracuse Area
Zone Coordinator,  Vince Hueber, (315) 475-8603, who may be able to direct you
to local clubs in your area for support.  You might then want to become a
member of some of the UK clubs like Triumph Stag Registry run by Mike Wattam
101714.1343@domain.elided, and the Stag Owners Club UK that publishes a full
color monthly magazine of their trips and events relative to UK and European
Owners.  Membership in the clubs is a good source for technical advice, but
unfortunately we in the US can not take full advantage of the services offered
by the UK clubs like road assistance discounts, parts exchanges, and insurance
programs.

For a successful restoration, it is important to assess the work that needs to
be done and set some realistic goals for the project.  Restoring a car can be
a pleasure, or your worst nightmare.  If you are going to do a ground up
restoration, reserve some quality time every day or at least once a week that
you will devote to the work.  If you can reserve some daily time and do a
rolling restoration, you will be driving sooner.  Plan to attend some regional
British Car Shows, another good source of information.

So, enjoy your project, my wishes for its successful completion to have
another Triumph on the road.

Regards,
Glenn Merrell
"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html