Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: star cars

Hi Ronald

Thanks for the additional Info. All goes into the database..

The cars in the Italian Job were sadly not mock ups.. The Ferrari that
you mention was most probably the Lamborghini Miura. The Mafia halted it
with a JCB as it raced through a tunnel, The Lambo not the JCB. The JCB
then shovels the Miura over the wall at the side of the road and the
camera sticks on it as it bounces all the way to the bottom of the
ravine. Engine, interior, wheels the lot. What a crime.. The crew should
have been locked up for life...

Check out this URL, Autocar found the road
http://www.sonnet.co.uk/seventony/rtt_ch.htm
<http://www.sonnet.co.uk/seventony/rtt_ch.htm>

The other three cars DB5 convertible and two E-Types both series 1 (one
FHC and one Roadster) were also real cars. The DB5 was definitely a
write off as it met a similar fate as the Lambo but one of the badly
mangled E-Types survives to this day it was the Roadster Reg 848 CRY
(couldn't be more suitable). Believe it or not it was the very first
E-Type to win a production car race back in 1961. (I think it's
registration was 2 BBC then.) I believe the car is now restored and
owned by Paul Skilleter, a well respected Jaguar Historian.

Bearing the above in mind, I don't think the producer was too bothered
about sending three Cooper S mini's to their unfortunate death..

I love the film, but have to leave the room at the scene's of senseless
destruction of those now "respected" works of art. As they say you can't
change what has happened..

Regs

Richard Hudson
73 Auto White Stag
E-Type series 1 1/2 FHC... maybe .. someday ahhhh