Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Le-Mans

Dear All

Just got back from Le-Mans, it was fantastic. Only the weather let us
down, poured Friday Morning and Sunday afternoon both times while I was
driving top down. The theory that you don't get wet if you go over 50mph
doesn't really work in a monsoon with raindrops like golf balls, the
water just washed over the top of the screen and onto my jeans. I was
still drier though than if I'd stopped to put the roof up.. It was funny
watching all the other cars Triumph Spitfire, Bentley, various Caterhams
and a Jag C- Type all racing along the roads trying to keep ahead of the
downpour..

My Stag performed without any problems, except that the windscreen
washers packed up but that wasn't really a huge issue. Booted the car
all the way there averaging around 4000rpm 80ish mph and all the way
back. Got 22mpg out of it so I wasn't too unhappy.

Even in the traditional 2 hour traffic jam to get away from Le-Mans
after the race the car didn't overheat or get anywhere near overheating.

I saw three other stags in and around Le-Mans two were white 1976 cars
with black interior and the third was a red car possibly with a Rover
conversion because though the exhaust note was undeniably v8 it didn't
sound as smooth as the triumph v8.

My friend was so impressed with the whole trip that he is already
planning "le-mans 99" I just need to get around my wife for some more
time off..

Regards

Richard Hudson
73 White (automatic) Stag