Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Head removal

Richard Brake wrote:

> Subject:        Triumph Stag
>
> Hi,
>
> For the last two months I have been trying to remove a Stag cylinder
> head. This head has two broken studs which have sheered off level with
> the head. My daily routine is soak with Oil or Hyperclean then hit head
> with a 4lb hide hammer approx 50 times. I have shifted the head up about
> 16th to an 8th of an inch. This has decompressed the gasket but not
> allowed me the clearence to insert a hacksaw and so cut off the accursed
> studs (the way I removed the other head).
>
> I have jacked the car up on the exhaust manifold and even suspended it
> from the garage roof by the exhaust manifold to provide some tension to
> the head before hitting it.
>
> Has anyone got the plans for the SAAB based tool for head removal. This
> bolts to the inlet and exhaust faces of the
> head and allows bolts to screw down onto the relevant studs thus jacking
> the head up.
>
> And yes I still like Triumphs I just want this one back on the road, or
> else I'll resort to getting my PI MKIII Spitfire with 2500cc engine back
> on the road.

Richard,

        I have heard of this SAAB tool but I havn't any further
information I'm afraid.

A method that was talked about on this list was the "rope trick". This
involved poking a length of rope through the spark plug hole and turning
the starter so that the piston pushed the rope against the head. The
only concern was of damage to the conrod but this could be tried as a
last resort ! I suggest that you remove the camshaft first to ensure
that all the valves are fully closed (unless you are positive that that
piston is on the compression stroke). This may work as it sounds like
you have at least loosened the head.

Good luck,

Dave.

PS. Don't bring your garage roof down !