Stag/Stag Digest Archive

FW: Triumph Stag

Subject:	Triumph Stag

Hi,

For the last two months I have been trying to remove a Stag cylinder
head. This head has two broken studs which have sheered off level with
the head. My daily routine is soak with Oil or Hyperclean then hit head
with a 4lb hide hammer approx 50 times. I have shifted the head up about
16th to an 8th of an inch. This has decompressed the gasket but not
allowed me the clearence to insert a hacksaw and so cut off the accursed
studs (the way I removed the other head).

I have jacked the car up on the exhaust manifold and even suspended it
from the garage roof by the exhaust manifold to provide some tension to
the head before hitting it.

Has anyone got the plans for the SAAB based tool for head removal. This
bolts to the inlet and exhaust faces of the
head and allows bolts to screw down onto the relevant studs thus jacking
the head up.

And yes I still like Triumphs I just want this one back on the road, or
else I'll resort to getting my PI MKIII Spitfire with 2500cc engine back
on the road.

Regards

Richard Brake