Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Draughty Door

Hi all
I have found my draught. I knew I would crack it in the end. When I really
concentrate on that one problem, I can solve it.
In this case I can solve the problem of where is the draught coming in. I am
less sure about how to stop it.
The draught comes in between the bright metal (chrome? or stainless steel)
door glass surround and the rubber of the weatherseal strip on the "B" post
just at the point where the glass surround enters the door body, and there is
a step which the rubber seal is insufficiently flexible to mould into. On the
passenger side the rubber weatherstrip is a little perished and has collapsed
at the similar point and strangely this gives it the flexibility to sit into
that little step.
My car is an early Mark 1 and has little stainless steel fillets where the
glass surround enters the door body. It is these that make the little steps.
So I suppose, since I do not often have passengers in the winter, the solution
to avoiding the draft is the convert the car to left hand drive, unless you
have a better idea, which I am sure you will, in which case please tell me -
it would be cheaper!
Peter Howells