Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Overheating

Mike
Yes true about the sand. A lot of the replacement blocks had that casting sand
in them as well. Also a number of early Stags had crankshaft problems  giving
potential for incorrect Antifreeeze refills by dealers. All that you say is
true about shearing bolts and timing chains.
However it doesn't alter the fact that many people in Britain "think" that
Stags overheat, many of them owners. The other point is that when they do, its
disaster time, hence the nervousness.
As you say, if they are properly looked after and maintained they are OK, but
I would add they are great engines. They were very modern in design for the
time. They tend to be dirty, and burn a little oil compared with a modern
engine, and they really would have been better with a dry rubber timing belt
but that apart they are virtually  modern engines with single overhead cams.
When people see I have a Stag and say, did you put a Rover engine in it, I say
no, the Stag engine is excellent, and better than a pushrod Rover engine,
especially in a Stag where the weight is important (Apologies to all
convertees!). Lots of owners seem to be reconverting to Stag engines or
selling mentioning they still have the Stag engine to go back.
And you can cane it OK. As long as you don't go into the red sector, I think
flooring it is fine. It just uses rather a lot of petrol.
Peter Howells