Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Fans and Overheating

Brian

Logic tells me the following cannot possibly be true.

The first 'Stag' event I ever went on was a treasure hunt.  After some
10-15 miles of motoring at 30-40mph, we all pulled into a car park for
refreshments.  Betty and I were absolutely staggered to see all the other
Stag bonnets go up, lots of intense-looking young men feeling their hoses
and complaining their Stags were overheating.  They couldn't believe that
we thought this was silly, and were even more confounded that we refused to
'up' our bonnet.

I have seen similar phenomenons a number of times since, and I am convinced
that Stags behave just like dogs, overheating just because their owners
expect them to.

I've had my Stag almost 25 years.  It still has the original rad, the
engine hasn't been opened up apart from to rectify head gaskets after a
blown water hose (alright so it's only done 100,000 miles).  The only
maintenance on the cooling system is a rodding out of the radiator core
once only, and cleaning through the engine etc., with Radflush thoroughly
about 3 times.

Mike