Stag/Stag Digest Archive

oil pressure

Gentlemen:

I just pulled my motor out of the car because of low oil pressure.  When
I checked the main bearing journals I hap a 2 to 3 thousands gap and a
1.5 to 2 thousands gap on the rod bearings.  I do not believe those kind
of gaps could cause me to have 2lbs of oil pressure at idle after the
motor is hot and 50 lbs when you rev the motor.  I took out the oil pump
and the pressure relief valve is worn in one spot.  Beside the oil pump
is there any other areas in the motor that could be causing the low oil
pressure at idle.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I also had a intermitent rattle in the front of the motor that would come
and go it sounded like it was coming out of the drivers side of the
motor.  Ther is no pattern to when it comes and goes.  When I took the
front cover off I did not find any loosness in the timing chain.  The
timing chains do not have any slack in them, could they still be bad or
is there something else that could cause an intermitten rattle.

I have gas in my oil.  Could that be causing my problems and it normally
points to a bad set of floats or needle valves.  What causes this problem
in stag motors.

Ralph Vrana
Cleveland Ohio
73 Magenta automatic