Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: oil pressure

Hello Ralph,
    I have some experience with this one, and I bet your gas mileage is crap,
and/OR your tailpipe is lined with black soot!  In any case, you have pulled
your engine in vain.  You should have consulted us'ins  know-it-all's (far
beit!!) before removing the engine.

    I believe that you have two problems, Mike Wattam has already answered
one of them about a week ago concerning oil pump pressure relief springs and
improper adjustment.

The second sounds to me like you have either an over rich condition caused by
worn metering jets/seats, or a flooding bowl valve.  Gas in the oil is by one
entry, past the rings (unless you have connected the fuel bypass line to your
oil breather connection, in which case your engine was potentially a
terrorist weapon!!).  This condition will cause immediate, rapid and undue
wear in the cylinder wall as the rings have little lubrication on startup and
running until the oil pressure comes up. In your case, the oil pressure is
not necessarily the primary cause of the problem.  As Mike points out, lack
of oil pressure is not necessarily from engine wear, as you may have found by
removing your engine...but  from improper spring tension of the oil bypass
spring.  (since you have it out, time to do it right).
    Mic'ing the cylinder walls will disclose the damage done, but make sure
that you get the carbs reconditioned.  Lucky for you, Rimmers is having a
tremendous sale, TWO reconditioned carbs on the pedestal, exchange, for
£155.00 ($248 USD).  Considering that the carbs alone usually go for over
£200 each, I think this a great deal, and a complete engine rebuild kit for
£675 ($1080 USD)  includes EVERY part in the engine...and a Repari Operations
Manual.

Hope this helps.

Sincere Regards,
Glenn Merrell