Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Spax and Koni Rears

I had one rear shock go while still in warranty in 1973, that was pathetic.
 I told the Triumph dealr to get me Spax adjustables as I already knew that
(for reasons I don't know) they are particulalry suited to Triumphs - all
the works rally cars used Spax adjustables.

They've been on for 24 years and still going strong, which I think says it
all.  They are oil-filled.  If you have mechanical noise, check the rubber
bushes top and bottom, these have a habit of wearing and allowing the metal
parts of  the shocks to come through direct to the bodywork with consequent
loud noises.

With the Spaxes, it is also very useful to have them adjustable as stiff
settings are vey useful when using the hard-top, or fully loaded on
holiday, or for driving tests, high speed driving etc.

Koni's are also fine, but fairly stiff and non-adjustable.  You can get
adjustable Koni's but these are similar spec to the Spax and a lot more
expensive.

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register