Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Auto Stag - Pressure Loss

Hi,

I have had this sudden loss of drive, but only when the fluid is very low, and
cold. A good rock of the selector from position to position cures things for
enough time to limp to the roadside and add a litre or so of fluid.

Mine also leaks a bit. It rather oddly loses more when standing still than
going along, although this could be an illusion??

Mine never loses pressure at speed however, this must be very alarming!!
I do not mean to be patronising, but are you filling it up using the
proper procedure in the owner's manual? This involves lots of fiddling
about, whilst the engine is running and the pump is pressurising the
fluid. This makes the level rather lower than when drive has not been
selected recently.

I don't remember the procedure exactly, I usually add a bit when cold (not
a good Idea, I know!)

As far as I'm aware, the worst case scenario is that in the event of an over-
fill, excess fluid will spurt out of the breather pipe, rather like an SU
carb. Assuming, that is, that it has not been deliberately blocked by
a previous owner (hangs onto the gears longer, apparently).

Someone on the list may be good enough to advise us of the correct procedure,
or maybe one that works well for them.

Cheers, Dave.