Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Speedometer error

Dear All

Inspired by the intrigue of the speedo accuracy debate I have now conducted a
further test and I find that my milecounter or oddometer is reading 300 yards
too high over ten miles assuming those little numbered sticks at the side of
the motorway are 100 yards apart. This means 1,700 miles too many counted
every 100,000. I suppose this is accurate enough and well within the
manufacturer tolerances.
Hence I am getting happier by the minute that my speedo is accurate, for speed
and distance, and all the gears and worms and ratios in the drive mechanism
are as close as one can expect to get.
Peter Howells