Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: [4] Front Suspension Question

Alex Nixon wrote:

> Friends
>
> The problem is defiantly with the cross member.
> I can't drill new holes for the track arm bolt, because all I will get are slots. So I am left with finding
> another cross member. Does any one in the US have a good one for sale ?

Alex,
Before buying a new cross member, you could try drilling new holes and
then welding "washers" over the correct place to create the new holes on
the cross member.
I had to do this with mine because the previous owner had left one of
the wishbone bolts loose and it had slopped around and elongated the
holes.
I used the term "washers" for welding over the holes, but in fact I
couldn't find a washer with a small enough tolerance hole to be a close
fit for the bolt, so I had some new washers made up by a local machine
shop. When these were welded in place they obviously made a wider cross
member for the bolt to go through (by about 1/4 or 3/8 inch), so I used
a slightly longer than normal bolt for mounting the wishbone.
Works great.

Good luck,
Steve Smith
'73 Stag