Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Alloy wheel nuts torque

Russ

Greetings

It is puzzling, but I must confess that having own my 2500S since 1978
(bought new) I have never read the Stag manual.  I would have grave concerns
that the alloy nut would survive such tension without either stripping the
thread and/or at least streatching the thread.

As I have said to others, at 100 FT-lbs, try removing the nuts on the road
side with only and socket spanner etc..  I have had a case where the nuts
have been tightened by the blasted airguns which our tyre shops are keen to
use, and have not been able to budge the nut.  Have had to resort is
locating a stone, jack the car mad place the stone under the socket and
lower the car, thus using the weight of the car.

Hence I will not allow a airgun near the car, and always supply my own
tension wrench when I have new tyres fitted.

This brings some curious looks, but who cares.

keep staggering

brian

Brian
>its very puzzling as to why there is such a descrepency between the torque
>settings for the wheel nuts on a 2500S and Stag. The ROM clearly says 100
>lb ft for the alloy wheels on a Stag. By my understanding the two cars have
>essentially the same running gear. I have always thought that 100 lbs was
>an awful lot! Think I might try your 2500S torque settings.
>Thanks, Russ Brown.
>Frederick, MD. USA
>('73 MK 11 LE 21533U).
>
>P.S. Perhaps its because of the vast amount of HP the Stag V8
>produces........yeah right!

Brian & Jan Tink

Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
Australia
P.O. Box 815  Woden  A.C.T. 2606
batink@domain.elided
Phone: (02) 62815275 (h)    (02) 62506615(w)  Mobile 014 68 5040
Fax:   (02) 62812331  Need prior warning to set up computer
FGBMFI   "His Banner over us is Love"

                                 /\
                         ___	/  \
                               \___/