Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: stag-digest V3 #48

In a message dated 08/01/98 12:17:12 GMT, you write:

I mention again the vastly increased loads some of these mods will put
through the suspension/chassis, so be careful.  From your remarks I assum=
you are using the OZ yellow bushes which seem to be brilliant, but they o=
course also absorb less and so pass more shock loading into the chassis.

Mike,

 Yes you are entirely correct, supaflex I think they where called an advisable
modification if like me you tow a sizeable caravan. The car is never really
used in anger, however Karen ( the better half ) drove it around the Beamish
reliability run and  destroyed a "normal" front arm bush in 200 miles
!ressulting in a very strange camber angle. Once back to yellows, no problems.

Camber angles and rear suspension, the Stag and it's families rear set up is
actually designed such that at any point on the suspension travel the rear
wheels are vertical to the road. this however all falls apart if the rear
springs are soft as to do this they must be vertical ( within reason ) at
rest. On hard cornering the wheel on the inside rises on its springs thus
causing the wheel to slope top out/bottom in, its counterpart is compressed
and becomes top in/bottom out. Hope thats clear !

<< The last thing is the cost.  The tyres themselves are very expensive
 (215-45 x 17" =3D =A3180 each!) and you must inform your insurer you are
 running on non-standard tyres which will give them a further opportunity =
 bleed your bank balance. >>

My insurers have a list of all the mods on my car but have never altered the
premiums due to them

Lastly mike I have to admit to giving a guy on the Triumph list a cyberbashing
not long ago who wished for advice on how to cut down Spit front springs, so
we all do have our fits of pique.

Whilst my own car is well moded, my fathers is entirely standard. I love both
cars in their own way. They are two totally different beasts. That aside I
would not feel at all happy using Dads car to do the things mine has to do (
1300kg of caravan )

All the best

Andy Maughan