Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Steering Rack Leak

  Simon

  I assume from your message that the leak is from the opposite end of the
  rack from the steering column.. If so you may have the same problem that
  i did.

  Mine was leaking from vaguely the same area but because of a huge build
  up of crud I couldn't pinpoint the exact location.

  Spent an hour and a half wrestling the rack off the car, cleaned all the
  grease off it and started to look at installing my brand new seal kit
  (courtesy of Rimmer Bros), I didn't have all the necessary tools nor the
  expertise to do the job cut a long story short..

  Threaded ring turned another 1/2 turn while I was cleaning the rack then
  split into its two halfs depositing ATF all over the place. Cleaned
  thread and wound it back in, nearly all the way till I felt resistance.
  Confident that I fixed the source of the leak reinstalled the rack into
  the car. However rack still leaked, got under car undid LHS mounting for
  Rack, and using a small flathead screwdriver and a wooden mallet I gently
  tapped the threaded ring further, it wound almost two full turns before
  it got tight.. Retighted the mounting bolts and low and behold no more
  leaks..

  May or may no help...

  Regards

  Richard Hudson