Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Fwd: TR3 head removal

ASMaughan wrote:

> Reading some emails on the triumph discussion group I came accross this novel
> approach to head removal.
>
> Antone tryed this on a Stag ? anyone ever heard of it before ?
>

> Subject: RE: TR3 head removal
> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:44:26 -0800
> From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@domain.elided>
> To: "'Adrio Taucer'" <adrio@domain.elided>
> CC: "'British List'" <british-cars@domain.elided>,
>      "'Triumph List'"
>      <triumphs@domain.elided>
>
> Adrio,
>
>         There is always the "rope trick".  Pull the plugs, get your 10' length
> of .375" - .5" dia rope, and feed in to spark plug hole of offending end of
> motor.
> Compressing this soft material inside the cylinder and against the head while
> turning the crank by hand from the main pulley should force the head up and
> free
> of the studs.

> So my question is, is there a "trick" or some method for getting the
> head unstuck form these studs?

Hello Andy,
        Actually, the rope method was posted by me for Stags a while
back, look in volume two of the Stag archives, back about March or so.
Turning the crank by hand does not work very well, it is best to use the
starter.  This process requires checking for bent rods after done.  I
got the idea from Jim Rickel of Kats Automotive service, a local Jag
machanic who also works on Stags.

Regards,
Glenn