Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Overdrive engagement

Hi all,

I have a question on the way my overdrive engages.

I have had a 72 manual Stag for about 5 months now. During this time I have covered a couple of thousand miles without incident.

During this time the overdrive has always been a little slow at engaging when in third gear. After flicking the switch it takes about two seconds before the overdrive is engaged. When it's time to disengage it it is virtually instant. It seems to make little difference if the engine is under load or not, or even if the the revs are high or low.

In fourth gear the overdrive is just about instant at engaging or even disengaging.

Is this normal operation? I have never had an overdrive gearbox before so I have no experience. If it is not normal, what does this delay mean?

Seasons Greetings to you all.....

David Kirk
Kingston Products Ltd
Tarn Howe, Lakes Rd, Workington,
Cumbria, UK, CA14 3YP
Tel : +44 1900 601077  Fax +44 1900 871077