Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Overdrive engagement

You wrote:
"During this time the overdrive has always been a little slow at engaging
when in third gear. After flicking the switch it takes about two seconds
before the overdrive is engaged. When it's time to disengage it it is
virtually instant. It seems to make little difference if the engine is
under load or not, or even if the the revs are high or low.  In fourth gear
the overdrive is just about instant at engaging or even disengaging."

My guess is the gearbox layshaft bearings are badly worn, throwing a strain
on the overdrive unit.  Symptom is lots of whine in the intermediate gears,
worse noise the lower the gear.  Mine has got the identical problem only a
little worse, it won't engage 3rd at all unless power is completely 'off'.

I don't understand why top gear engagement is instant, once the solenoid is
activated it should take at least a second before oil pressure builds up
enough to allow overdrive to engage.  Maybe there is also a problem in the
overdrive.

If you prefer not to rebuild the 'box yourself, can I suggest Howard Vesey
(who has member recommendations on the Triumph Stag Register of listed
suppliers ) phone 01795 590263 is about the best and rebuilds with good
quality parts - something on which you cannot otherwise rely.

Hope this helps

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register