Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Oil

Hello Louis,
	My have experience with some additives and synthetic oils on my own
cars, including Restore and Slick 50, Mobile 1.  Restore actually
improved the compression on my 302 CID V8 Ford by about 10 pounds, and
after about 3000 miles of running, the compression and leak rate tests,
previously offset on each cylinder, became more equal across all the
cylinders, and performance was notably better.  Oil consumption was also
reduced from 1 quart in 2000 miles to about 1/2 quart in a 3000 mile oil
change.  I ran Slick 50 in my '86 Subaru XT Turbo until I sold it at
187,000 miles, still no oil burning at that mileage.  I run Mobile 1 in
my 360 cc 5500 watt generator, and all I need to do is change the filter
and add the difference.  My experience with synthetics in older car
engines is that it will find every spot on the engine to leak from, and
then some.  A friend of mine swears by DuraLube, having tested cars on a
dyno before and after showing a 10-15% power increase after 1000 miles
of running.  For now, since all three of my cars have leaks, I opt for
the 3000 mile oil change using Vavoline, and keep the oil topped up, and
all three are over 150,000 miles and running strong!
Regards,
Glenn Merrell