Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Rear axel ratios

Hey Guys,

The recent conversation about rear axel ratio relates to my decision to
go with Datsun/Nissan hardware.

V8s just (generally) don't like low ratios like 3.7.

A local chum has a Rover powered Stag, and suffered for a while until he
rebuilt the diffy to 3.45.  Even that is not ideal.

The BMW conversion is well worth considering.  Richard Lane sells it,
and can be convinced to sell a kit w/o the diffy, if this makes the
conversion more affordable.  Certainly there is no need to ship 5 series
diffys from Britain to the US when they are avaliable in any junk yard.
And they are said to be indestructable.  And avaliable in a variety of
ratios.  3.08 is avaliable.

Of course, I am running an OHC straight six with an overdrive tranny and
3.7 diffy.  At 70 it turns 2800 rpm.  And it goes from 50 to 80 in a
snap.  I'm finnaly old enough that I don't care too much about 0 to 60.

Kevin Harrop
73 Stag w/ Datsun Z engine and Nissan Maxima 4sp auto
Los Angeles