Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Rear axle conversions

Hi all,

The '71 Stag ( 327 Corvette powered ) has a 273 Corvette Posi rear in it.
 The front cross member was 'opened up' to accept the bigger Corvette
front hub.  There were two pieces of steel welded to the frame cross
member to accept the front of the Corvette rear.  The Stag rear mounting
plate was modified slightly to bolt up to the Corvette rear mounting
housing cover.  The axles had the Corvette hubs welded onto the Stag
axles.

This setup was done by the PO and has about 4-5 years of use on it (
25,000 miles or so).  I see no signs of fatigue or damage.  I haven't
tried 'hole shots' with it, but have not been especially easy on it since
I got it in January.  The car easily breaks the 3 digit speed limit and
is a real comfort to drive.

Oh yeah, for those that followed the story earlier....I still have the
open headers, but am getting closer to fixing that.

The '73 has the stock Stag rear and coupled to the Buick V6...it is a
rear drag to drive that car.  The 3 speed auto trans and the Stag rear
are not suited for each other and it is really screaming at highway
speeds.  Off the line it really flies and it catches rubber in the 1-2 up
shift anytime you want.  I think that perhaps the high engine speed has
something to do with the premature death of the V6.  I only drove it for
3-4 weeks before deciding it needed to be rebuilt ( rod knock ) so I
haven't been in that one for a couple of months.

FWIW.....

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA
'68 TR 250, owned since 1980