Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Part 2, Vac fitting under left carb

I had a little premature execution. To continue

The Thermo Vacuum Switch has three vac connectors as well as the above
vent tap. Note that the vent tap was located at the highest point in the
cooling system, ideal for purging the system of air.

I'm fairly certain of my ground re the above because (1) I'm looking at
the original item, and
(2) I bought the car from the girl friend of Bill Harrah, owner of the
Reno, Nevada Auto Museum, which was as well known for its automotive
library as it was for its car collection.
My Stag had been maintained by that facility
and was both perfect and original except for
a larger capacity radiator---Reno is at 4000 foot altitude and can be
hot.

I am less certain of the vac hose routing, the subject of the original
question. I do recall that the vac lines were stiff and of a smaller
diameter than a usual vac hose. They fit into rather than over the
thermo switch openings.

I_THINK_ the vac lines were routed as follows:
>From the under carb outlet to one of the three thermo switch openings,
from there one line went to the distrib advance and one to the distrib
retard function.

I do know I capped off the under carb fitting and eliminated the coolent
hose complications for the purpose of vacuum advance quality. This was
over 25 years ago, but I seem to recall
the vacuum from the inner workings of the carb itself provided a
compromised vacuum, so I tapped from the center pedestal fitting
directly to the disrib instead. This has always worked well. The rest is
history.

Even more disgusting, the initial timing of US Stags was specified as 4
degrees AFTER TDC rather than 14 before. Couple that with an 8:1
compression ratio made for an emasculated V-8. With a decent cooling
system and a rich mixture I'd often thought the engine would be a likely
prospect for a small supercharger.

I hope the local statutes of limitation apply.