Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Steering

Fellow staggers  greeting from OZ

Here in Oz, when discussing the subject of steering racks with potential
suppliers,   I have had the statement pushed at me "  Oh, they are
getting a
bit old now", indicating that the supply of reconded units are becoming
heritage item.

Rack & Pinion systems have been around for a long time, my '1960 morris
major
had it, the first 2000 sedan had them back in 1969, in 1975, General
Motors
introduced a wonderful new suspension concept to Australia called the
"Radial
tuned suspension" which incorporated a new discovery of Rack and Pinion
steering, and most new cars of today use the same system.

The thought that crossed my mind, now no rude comments please, is what
determines what racks are suitable for what car.  Is it too simple to
accept
the concept that if 2 cars have closely the same wheel track widths,
apart
from the type of mounting used by the respective vehicles, would the
racks be
interchangable?

My thinking is that any small differences in the track widths would be
taken
up by the number of turns employed when fitting the ball joints to the
rod
ends, afterall this is how Toe in/Toe out is adjusted.

Which leads to the question, is there a rack used on a currrently
manufactured vehicle that could be employed on the Stag/Sedans??

What are the specifications of the triumph racks??

any comments please.

yours in staggering, and sedaning and TR7'ing

brian