Stag/Stag Digest Archive

2 part Soft top

Hey Guys,

I must say I'm a little surprised that I've had so little response on
this idea.  Perhaps I need to explain the concept more fully.

First:  No irreversable alterations to the frame.  The Frame would be
seperated at the B post.

Let's start at the back.  The foreward most component of the rear bit of
the frame would be 811799.  That's the cross bow that lies immidiately
behind the roll bar.

Now the rag. (Hood, top, etc.)  The top consists of only three large
pieces of canvas (mohair, etc.) There is a large piece that is almost
rectangular.  It forms the center of the roof.  It runs from the head
rail, 813768, to the large window.  This is flanked by two pieces that
form mirror images of each other.  They run front to back.  Over the
front seats they carry the rain gutters.  Behind the B post, they come
down to form the sides, and to carry the triangular windows, if fitted.

>From the rear most point, the rag is standard up to 811799.  Now comes
the fun and games.  The side bits terminate at about this point.  The
center piece of rag continues foreward, wraps around the roll bar, and
reaches back to 811799, where it attatches, probably with velcro.

Thus the back seat is covered, while the front seats are open.

The front is also nearly standard back to 811799.  It is only attached
to the frame at the head rail.  At 811799, it probably attaches to the
rear rag with velcro.  The rear has velcro sewn on the outside above
811799.  The foreward bit is stuck down here.

The front frame.  First 714117 and 714118 are not used.  These stand
vertical when the top is raised, and cause the foreward bit of the frame
to fold correctly when in its original configuration.  Bolt 627107 (2)
are removed and replaced by bolts run through the opposite way.  Bolt
627106 is removed and not replaced.

The really tricky bit is how 714093 and 714096 (the arms that cover the
rear of the side window in front of the B post, and carry the velcro
that the rag fixes to) slot into 811799.  If not held properly, the arms
over the window will sag, and inhibit the closing of the door.  What is
needed is a U shaped channel, which is fitted to 811799.  The rearmost
point of the arms turn down, and are hinged (in original configuration)
to 811799 by 627106.  The base of the U channel is rearmost, and
prevents the side arms from moving backward, and thus hold the arms
horizontal.

Anyone?  We might get these produced for little more than the standard
hoods, IF demand is displayed, and IF there is proof that the system
will work.

Kevin Harrop