Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Water Injection

Mike

Let me expand on the explanantion a little.

We had a chap visit out triumph car club here in canberra a couple of
years
back.  he was a chap in his 30's, had enginerring quals. and gave us a
good
lesson on combustion, shape of flame, the effects of water injection.
he and
his brother are active in drag racing.

He made an interesting comment that he considered the Stag engine
basically
good and that he would enjoy the opportunity in "doing one up".

He showed us a water injection unit that he had installed in his car.
The
car was a very ordinary looking Volvo which one would not take a second
look
at, but under the bonnet was a Chevy v8 motor,  The rear suspension had
been
savagely re-worked to keep the wheel on the ground and it sound
somethimg
awesome.

Over here some of the auto shop are flogging a WI system which consists
of a
water bottle with a line into the carby/s and the "Under the bonnet"
adjustment is made via a tap, not exactly suitable under high speed
situations.  The WI unit that I saw was "state of the art".  it sucked
in a
whole heap of parameters, such as air temp, air humidity, engine temps,
loads
etc etc etc., and it adjusted itself accordingly.  basically it was a
very
neat piece of equipment, however I cannot source a unit in Australia,
hence
my request for someone who may live near or know of the firm in the USA
and
could contact them direct.

As for unleaded fuel.  It is hard to understand how they can claim that
it is
better for the car.  Unleaded fuel is not as efficient as leaded fuel,
hence
you use more and the company sells more and makes a bigger profit.  One
of
the major concerns that the car manufacturers have is, on one hand to
try and
improve consumption levels in order to make their product more
attractive to
consumers and also at the same time to be seen to do the right thing for
the
environment.

With consideration to the weight reduction that has occurred, to the
more
streamling shape of cars, to the use of multi valve engines, to the
switch to
injection, use of engine management systems, etc. in reality the the
"Miles
per gallon" factor has not really increased that dramatically when one
considers a like car with like car, for size and weight.  My old every
day
hack-mobile, '78 2500S with 300,000 kilo on the clock and never had the
head
off, still gives my over 30 MPG on a trip.

In OZ the Ford company were having real problems with one of their small
bubble cars just to get them running

True it gives a cleaner combustion chamber, I hear that it is a good way
de-coke you car, a tank of unleaded and a good long run, but watch the
temp
guage because unleaded burns hotter that leaded.  Of course without
re-timing
the car runs like a dog.

But of course the real issue, this point that they do not want to talk
about
is the question of what has been used as the lead replacement.  While
they
willing get up and say that we are good guys for removing lead so that
your
kids are not going to be dumb because of lead poisoning, they are not
too
quick to tell you that they have replaced lead with some of the highest
carconegenics known to man.  Compounds that I believe to be bi-products
of
fuel refinement and products that are normally difficult to dispose of.

very neat, just put it into fuel and tell the unsuspecting public that
we are
doing them a favour and let them kill them selves using it.

Only time will tell, while i hope and pray that I am very, very  wrong,
but I
fear that in 10 to 20 years time, the major health issue to face the
world
will be Cancer, cause by the benzines, toluenes and all the "enes" being
used
in unleaded fuel.

never fear, keep staggering

Brian