Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Water Injection

WATER INJECTION
Strange subject this.  I have a feeling it's going to be important to the
classic car movement in years to come if leaded fuel goes extinct like they
are now imminently planning in Oz.  Just goes to show that despite what the
politicians legislate, if a petrol company decides leaded petrol is not a
good profit earner, they will just withdraw from the market and leave us
lot high and dry.

It appears to offer some useful characteristics, if you can believe the
hype;

improved economy or performance
running on lower octane rating fuel
cleaner combustion chamber
less piston heat/wear
smoother tickover and running

According to the hype, it was used in Spitfire engines (airborne variety!)
during WW2 to combat low octane fuels - apparently they sometimes used
cocktails of diesel oil and paraffin (!!).  This tale has a remarkable
similarity to the one where it was alleged they threw lead balls into the
Spitfire tank to act as a lead substitute.

I also believe drag racers sometimes use such a system.

I have been looking at water injection on and off since I raced motorcycles
30 years ago, but never actually put a kit on!  More recently I even had a
guy round my house with a Peugeot diesel car (have I absolutely NO shame?)
which ticked over like a watch - but of course was bloody hopeless at
telling the time.  The exhaust was clean white.  If I can ever find the
literature in my wondrous filing system I'll scan it and send you a copy.

The last time I looked at this, 'injection' was hardly the right word and
consisted of a bit of small diameter hose and a manifold adaptor with a
small hole in it.  The 'tank' was second-hand car water header tank.  Not
exactly the cutting edge of technology.  Lets hope the kit you mention is
more professionally done.

despite water injection having been aorund for many years, I have NEVER
seen a proper laboratory test of this equipment.  Has anybody else?

I think the only real answer is to buy a current kit and see what happens.
Who's going to be the Guinea Pig?

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register