Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Yeah, I'm a converted stud...

I've done the conversion to three different Fiats that I have owned.

The first was to a '73 124 spider that I had. I had a set of classic
slotted "mags" with 205/60-13's. Looked sweet! Then I did it to a '69
850 spider, and then after that was destroyed, I hung on to the wheels
and used them on my 128 sedan:

http://overheardcams.org/danp/Fiat128/

Specifically:

http://overheardcams.org/danp/Fiat128/wheelb.jpg

The studs to use are specifically made for the application. They have a
hexagonal shaped socket that will accept an Allen (hex-key) wrench. You
want to use Loc-tite thread locking compound when you mount the studs in
the hub. Otherwise, when you pull the lug nuts, you'll pull out the
studs.

Be aware that different Fiats have different thread pitches. Later Fiats
sold in the US are 1.25 threads/mm. Older are 1.5. And on some 850's
they're mixed. But I'm not going to try to tell you which one that you
have.

I got the studs at a Parnelli Jones tire franchise in Milpitas,
California (Milpitas. It's not just the dump anymore) and I got the nuts
at a Kragen (a.k.a. Checker or Aw, Shucks, similar to Pep Boys.) I use a
bit of white grease on the lug nuts; not the threads, but the narrow
part of the nut. They're the shoulder type as opposed to a bevel type.
What you need depends on your wheels.

Also, when you tighten that type, make sure that you start all of the
nuts, and then snug the nuts first, and then tourque them in a star
pattern. It will reduce grinding and make sure that the wheel is more
centered. This is actually a good practice on anything with multiple
fastener: heads, oil pans, door panels...

(I may have told you that I used to bust tires...)

danp