Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

heater valves

Damon Kane wrote:

>At this point in my quest,  I'm stumped.  I tried to find  a universal
>cable operated valve at the local NAPA store that I could use in place  of
>my internally leaky brass  valve.  No luck, all too big.  Out of
>despiration and to help out a friend who had the identical problem I bought
>a simple in-line heater hose valve from the NAPA store.  They have 2 or 3
>
>sizes and configurations but only one will minimally offset the heater hose
>when installed.  For my friend, I installed the valve in the heaer hose
>that runs horizontally from the front of the footwell backwards towards the

I am sort of confused as to your problem with X 1/9 heater valves but I
assume the problem is they suck.

To make a long story short, the heater valve in my Spider is stuck in the
open position. Luckily I can cut the airflow off. But I can't open the flap
in the summertime because I get hot air.

I don't want to get into why it started leaking (internally), but it started
leaking about 2 weeks after I installed it and it is made of brass so it's
really not any better than the plastic ones.

I was at an import autoparts store and found a heater valve which would work
perfectly but I have never installed it.

It's a heater valve for a VW/Audi. It fits the 5/8" heater hose and is about
2 inches long. I still got it but have never used it.

I thought about using it to bypass the air auxilary valve so I could
manually crank up the idle.

I'm sure you could easily mount one of these in the engine compartment.
Trouble is finding a cable that long.

The valve is plastic by the way.

James Seabolt -----> mailto:jseabolt@domain.elided
Webpage: http://pages.preferred.com/~jseabolt