[ihc] RE: ihc-digest V7 #751

Dear Binder,

 I have a Scout 800 with a 152.  Have replaced the fuel pump 4 times in the
last 45,000 miles, always with a NAPA pump.  I have been unable to find a re
build kit or a diaphram.  The first replacement pump lasted  about 30,000
miles.  However the last 3 pumps have only lasted about 5,000-8,000 miles.
In all cases failure was due to a faulty seal, causing an oil leak 3 times
and a gas leak once.  I have been told that additives to the gas ( I live in
metro Phoenix AZ)  have caused premature failure.   In any case, after
getting fed up with frequent pump changing, I decided to go with an electric
pump.  Have had it for 6, 000 miles and it works great.  I notice that in
the hot weather  (up to 115 this past summer)  the truck starts easier with
an electric pump.

As far as the actuator arm, it is 2 pieces of steel riveted together, and
was never a problem,  The NAPA # for the pump for my truck was .
M3296.  This pump is readily available here.  Personally, I hated to not go
with an original style pump set up, but I needed to be practical.
My Scout is my daily driver, and I need it to be as reliable as possible.

The engine plate needs to be double gasketed to seal properly, other wise it
will leak.

Lance Freeman
1966 Scout 800
Sonora Desert Scouts