[ihc] fuel pump question

I've got a broken fuel pump on my 66 sporttop (is this
a surprise?)... After removing the pump (with the
glass bowl) from the engine block, and doing some
minor disassembly, it appears the diaphram rubber is
just plain old (is this a surprise?). Immediately
running to my "parts engine", I discover it has a fuel
pump and I remove it... Sadly, while the diaphram is
ok, the acuator arm (my term for the piece of metal
that extends into the engine block and rides, I
presume, on the cam shaft, causing the pump to pump)
is broken. Upon comparison, it appears that the
diaphrams are not interchangable, so now I have *two*
broken fuel pumps.

On to my questions: (1) Are fuel pump "repair" kits
(or replacement diaphrams) available, or am I just
wasting my time looking? (2) Anybody have a similar
"broken" fuel pump actuator arm? I'm concerned that
replacing the fuel pump with the "inverted U shaped"
actuator arm (the pump with the bad diaphram) with a
fuel pump that has a "cast" actuator arm (like the arm
that I found broken) will result in having to
continually replace the pump (and find the broken
piece in the engine). Is the "broken arm" problem a
fluke, or is it endemic to these types of fuel pumps
(with the cast arms)? (3) I went to my local NAPA and
they found a "current" part number for a replacement
pump (though they can't order it). Anybody have
experience with these either? (4) Anybody have
experience with simply putting a plate over the
current fuel pump location on the engine block and
putting in an electric fuel pump? This is a last
resort; I just want to know if it's workable.

Thanks.
http://mail.yahoo.com