[ihc] Why not Jeep outers?

Hey gang,
Yeah, I know it's been a while.  The new job has me
really frazzled, not to mention the 21 hour turnaround
trips to repair stuff for the Navy in Panama City.
Yeah, Leave Tucson 9P Weds, arrive Panama 8A Thu, go
to work, leave the hangar at 530P Thu, sleep, get up
at 230A Fri, catch a plane at 5A Fri arrive Tucson 11A
Fri.  I was in Florida for 21 hours.

Enough about my hardships.

I'm curious as to how I can alter the
draglink/steering rod geometry on a Scout II.  I know
everyone talks about the Ford outers, with the small
Chevy bearings, etc.  And people talk about using the
74/75 TA open knuckle outers with the flat top
knuckles, which are unobtanium.   BUT,
Why not use Jeep Dana 44 outers on a Scout II axle?
Does that give you a shorter steering arm at the
knuckle so that I can use the dropped pitman arm?  I
know someone is going to mention that the steering arm
is shorter, and that makes it harder on the steering
box, but the shorter (dropped) pitman arm gives you
better torque advantage (In this case you want a
shorter monet arm, instead of a longer one) SO, the
shorter steering arm and the shorter pitman arm cancel
out...

Why not use Jeep outer knuckles on a Dana 44 with the
dropped pitman arm?  This will give me readily
available parts, AND corrected draglink/steering rod
geometry.

Hmm?

JoelB