RE: Re[2]: [ihc] Travelall wheelbase

## >> I have to ask, where did they add the inch?  On my 73, it appears that
## >> the axle sits too far forward in the rear wheelwell.  It hampers the
## >> ability to use slightly taller tires than the stock 950-16.5.  If the
## >> axle sat back an inch, this problem would be alleviated for a tire two
## >> inches taller.
## >>
## >> Was the 1" achieved by changing the point on the springs
## >> where the rear
## >> axle mounts?
## >>
## >> I assume that the body is the same for the 119" and 120" WB.
## >>
## >> Ken
## >> ---

i've been wondering that same thing.  what did they do to gain the extra
inch?  i'm pretty sure everything stayed the same for the body, and the only
sheetmetal changes were forward of the firewall.  i'm also pretty sure that
the extra inch is in the rear suspension somewhere.  somebody will chime in
and correct me if i'm wrong on this.

as mentioned before, my 1110 has 1210 springs and axles, which i like.  it
sits a couple inches higher than a normal 1110 4x4 does, high enough to
easily fit 33x12.5x16.5" tires without trouble in the rear wells, and my
measurements indicate that 34" would have also fit (i couldn't find any in
that size when i got new tires last time around or i'd have tried it).  the
tires sit a little closer to the forward fender edge than i like, but i've
yet to rub anything.  the problem is that it's too far forward to fit tires
larger than the 33" i have now or the 34" i speculated.  i had a chance to
get some great-condition used HMMWV wheels and tires in 36" for really
cheap, but i had to turn it down because they won't fit under my rear wells
as it sits.  if the axle sat back another inch, maybe with an inch or so
more lift for fun, i could probably get away with it, i think.  might be
close without clearing some of the metal away or going for more lift, but it
should work okay.

it's too bad i like my Mags so much.  i bet HMMWV wheels would look pretty
sharp under there, and be a whole lot more stout.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton