RE: [ihc] CO Loadstars

## >> I thought I saw a picture of one?  4x4 with a removable tag
## >> dummy?  Was
## >> called something other than a loadstar though....
## >>
## >> -Ryan

that wasn't a Cargostar or CO-Loadstar, Ryan.  that's the Unistar, a 4x4
version of the Transtar 4070.  according to sources, the Unistar was
developed and built in-house by IH at the San Leandro plant for a customer
who contracted for the first 30 such trucks built.

page 417 in the Crismon book shows the pilot model Unistar, listed there as
a CO-4077A.  next to that picture is one of another Unistar, this one
sporting a Jifflox Dolly, which is the removable tag axle you referred to.
that's actually a pretty neat setup.  with the dolly attached to the truck,
it's basically a 6x4 or 6x2 tractor, depending on whether the front axle was
engaged or not, adequate in any case for pulling the longer heavier trailers
of the day.  but you could pull the dolly out and stick it under the second
trailer in a set of doubles.  makes the tractor pretty versatile in terms of
applications and driving conditions.

there's more information on page 426.  the book calls the truck a CO-7044A
twice in the text, so either the first text or the second is a typo.  since
the trucks were a modified version of the CO-4070, and there were no trucks
in the line with a 70xx model number, the CO-4077A seems more likely, but it
could very well be the other way around.  anyway, the text indicates that
Navajo Freight is the customer that contracted for the initial models of
these trucks, specifically for operation in bad weather.  as it says in the
book: "the all wheel drive tractors were designed to operate best in adverse
conditions such as snow".

it also says that the trucks had a drive system that automatically engaged
the front driving axle when the rear axle began to lose traction.  page 416
in Crismon describes the drive system:  "it featured all wheel drive, with a
unique arangement where the rear axle from a normal tandem bogie operated
alone at the rear, with a second prop shaft driving forward from it to an
overrunning clutch at the front axle.  when the back axle began to slip and
the axle speed increased, the inter-axle prop shaft began to turn fast
enough that it in turn engaged both halves of the overrunning clutch and the
front axle then also began to drive. extended tests showed no abnormal front
tire wear, and the transfer of power was so smooth that the drivers were not
aware when it went from 4x2 to 4x4 and back again."  sounds pretty nifty to
me.

-Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton