RE: [ihc] re: CO Loadstars

## >> IMO Howard is right on the money.  IH never made any that I knew of.
## >> However, I have seen 1 of the successor Cargostar models
## >> converted to 4X4.  It
## >> was used as an off-road fire truck.  Don't know which company
## >> converted it.
## >> Nowadays not only Marmon-Herrington but Fontaine and at least
## >> one other will
## >> do 4X4 conversions on medium trucks.

the earliest example of an all-wheeldrive cabover truck that i could find is
shown on page 295 in the Crismon book.  this is a 1958 VCO-190, and
according to the text, was converted to 4x4 for the US Air Force by
American-Coleman to serve as a mobile generator platform.  page 328 shows an
ACOF-190 (8x6) with dual drivers on the rear and the front-most axle driven
with a dummy trailing steering axle.  the text says nothing about this being
a conversion by somebody else, though it probably is.  there is another
picture of 4x4 VCO-190 trucks on page 350.  page 373 shows a CO-8190 fire
chassis with all wheel drive.  a 6x6 COF-8006 is featured on page 376, and a
DCOF-8006 6x6 on page 377, with a pair of DCOF-8008 6x6 trucks on the same
page.

of the CO-Loadstar all wheel drives, the only picture i found is on page
414, which shows a 1600 4x4.  the text says it wasn't a catalogued model and
"had undoubtedly been modified by an aftermarket firm to satisfy the needs
of a customer".  i looked, but i could not find any other pictures of 4x4
CO-Loadstars.  there also do not appear to be any pictures of the later
Cargostar 4x4 conversions in the Crismon book, but i have seen at least one
such truck in person owned by the California fire service up in the
mountains where we lived before we came here.

i'd also point out that Crismon has pictures of the 8x8 forward-control
dual-steering-axle prototype truck that IH was developing to sell to the US
Army as early as 1958.  this is essentially the same design that the Army
rejected back then, but which Osh-Kosh successfully sold to the Army
beginning in 1982 and which continues in active use today, known as the
HEMTT M-977 (and variants).

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton