Re: [ihc] Transmissions - Borg Warner

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:46:46 -0600, Ryan Moore <baradium@domain.elided> wrote:

> [...]

A few years ago somebody on this list was talking about putting a
modern 4.0L Jeep engine with a 727 into a Scout 80/800.  Lemme see if
I can find it.....

From Digest V6 # 3141:
<Quote>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:00:45 -0400
From: bearbvd@domain.elided (Greg Hermann)
Subject: Re: Trans ID in 258 Scout II

<cut>
The AMC 232 and 258 I-6's, the J**p 4.0 I-6, and all the AMC V-8's  (304,
345, 360 390, 401) have identical bell housing bolt patterns.

Sounds as though there are SOME AMC cars, SOME J**p trucks, and some IH's
(with a 258 engine) that ALL came with a 727 at one time or another.

All one REALLY needs is one of the 727 cases with this AMC bolt pattern,
along with the internals and tail-housing/TC adapter and mainshaft from
(ANY) 727 equipped Scout in order to mate a 727 and Scout drivetrain to a
232, 258 OR a 4.0.

Crank pilot hole diameters are pretty trivial to deal with (if you plan)
compared to bell housing adapters !!

Greg (thinking a 4.0/727  in a Scout 800A would make a seriously nice
engine swap for a daily driver/occasional off road multi-use vehicle)

<end quote>

Of course, Ryan, there is that new bit of info about the bellhousings
pre- and post-1971.  IF the bellhousing thing works out, another
advantage to staying in the AMC family would be the ability to drop an
OD tranny in later on.

So, Greg.  You thought about this a little over 2 years ago.  Was it
an just an idle thought, or did you really get down to planning it and
find real problems?

Dave