RE: Re[2]: [ihc]...property rights

At 5:03 PM 12/9/04, Pete  Shubin wrote:

>I have believed for a long time that a free society by definition could not
>be planned and would appear chaotic and feel uncomfortable to those that did
>not value or know freedom.  They need clear and explainable order in their
>surroundings to feel comfortable and will infringe on others freedom to get
>it.  I guess this can manifest in a desire to dominate but it is really a
>mask that covers the emptiness that people feel when they have lost
>something more precious, their own freedom.
>
>Ken, Jim, et al:
>
>>  What is it that fosters such desire for control over other people?
>
>It's the last six words of that sentence:  "desire for control over other
>people".  I think it's human nature, some desire for dominance.  And, since
>we aren't foraging on the savannah any more and beating the tar out of each
>other to show dominance is generally frowned upon, "controlling" others
>through law and ordinance is the socially acceptable way of showing
>domination in modern times.

Better than Orwell--anybody read any L. Neil Smith ?? 'Probability Broach',
'Venus Belt', 'Nagasaki Vector'???

Federalists vs. Libertarians !! Pretty interesting what happened in the
parallel universe where George Washington got shot right between the eyes
while in Philadelphia, shortly prior to leaving to execute his plan to put
down the Whiskey Rebellion. Among other interesting things, Jefferson ended
up convincing everyone to end slavery peacefully---

Was a pretty interesting scenario to read about chimps, gorillas, orcas,
dolphins, and people all communicating effectively and coexisting
peacefully on Ceres, among other places !!

Greg

>"Collective good" has replaced individual rights as the ultimate goal in
>people's minds and they don't even realize it.

This is the basic concept that Karl Marx espoused---

Mikhail Bikunen's opinion of Marx sez it all !!! :-)