Re: Re[2]: [ihc]...property rights

On Dec 9, 2004, at 5:03 PM, Pete Shubin wrote:

I try to keep this in mind every day that I walk into a city hall for
to represent an applicant at a hearing and every day that I take the Scout
for a drive. It gives me my reason to fight.
Well said. We're leaving before long and will spend a couple of months in the Death Valley area. Wow, we used to have a lot of fun down there exploring historic mines, old homesteads, great views where you could be by yourself while you look. Now all Wilderness and 95% closed off to vehicle travel.

There is in the Panamint Valley a resort privately owned. It is an enclave in a vast wilderness. Owner wants to sell his resort which is the only gas within 50 miles for those who are exploring that area. The Park Service has coerced him into agreeing that they, the Park Service, will get first chance at buying the place with its very modern gas facility.

Now, why would the National Park Service want to buy a modern resort and fuel facility? Will they get it? Maybe not while the Republicans control congress, but .......

There was a similar situation in the heart of the old National Monument. Folks with long histories in the DV area owned and operated, Wildrose Station, a cafe, motel, and gas station up in the mountains. Burned down by golly.

Up high in the Panamints was a historic homestead owned by the Meyers family. Sierra Club said that having folks drive to, and spend time in the cabins there could hurt the Wilderness surrounding it. Burned down by golly. Out in the Argus Range there was an opal mine run by a couple of characters out of Hollywood. Burned down, by golly.

If anyone is interested, there is more about the Meyers Ranch on my web site, Death Valley section.

Perhaps the greatest 4WD challenge in the country, Surprise Canyon in the Panamints, was closed by the BLM because it went up through Wilderness as designated by the Desert Protection Act.

Property rights, what property rights?

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline