[ihc] Re: AMC buildups

When I had a Jeep J-20 that I toasted a crank journal on (left the 30W summer oil in too long, starved a rod bearing, bonehead move), I was in search of a replacement engine. I hadn't had much Jeep or AMC experience, and I was thinking SB Chevy- if it's a SB, it'll fit, they're all the same. Then I talked to an old engine machine shop operator, who has built a lot of Jeep and AMC engines, and he set me straight. What it boiled down to is, don't expect an AMC passenger car engine to work in a Jeep vehicle. The cranks on the passenger versions may or may not be countersunk for a pilot bearing/bushing, but most likely were not unless they were factory equipped with a manual trans. And even then, the pilot bore diameter may not be correct since AMC (passenger) and Jeep used different suppliers for their transmissions. . And, not all Jeep engines had the proper pilot bushing bore either- some had a large countersink in the back of the crank to accomodate the snout of the torque convertor of the TH 400 that Jeep used (vs AMC passenger using TF 727). Nothing definitive here, just what I was told, but it disabused me of the notion of grabbing an old Matador (which I had already done) and bolting in the 304 that was in it. I sold the Matador, bandaided the 360 in the truck and it held together quite well actually ;)

-----Original Message-----

From: Pete Shubin [mailto:pshubin@domain.elided]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 10:59 AM
To: ihc@domain.elided
Cc: 'Jim Grammer'
Subject: RE: [ihc] Engine ID by pic

Did the AMC 401 ever come in an IH with a manual transmission?  I ask
because if it did that would be another AMC/IH anomaly.  I found several
references that said the 401 was never offered with a manual transmission
and that the crank was not drilled for a pilot bushing.  This is the

biggest

reason I stopped looking for a 401 and went with the 360.

What about AMX's and Javelins with 4 speeds?

Looking at the '73 401 sitting in my shop, the rear face of the crank has a
huge counterbore in it. Even if the pilot bearing hung a substantial ways
out of the flywheel I can't imagine there not being enough crank clearance.

We have an anecdotal report of a '74 401 equipped pickup with a T-19, the
possibility of which is borne out by Howard's research. IIRC that report was
posted to the BB, but a couple of quick searches didn't find it.

Jim