[ihc] AMC build-ups

All,

I have a copy of "Performance American Style," an authorized reprint of the 1972 AMC publication. It's a think booklet, but I think it has some very valuable information. I strongly encourage getting a copy on eBay or maybe at a library?

DaimlerChrysler still holds the copyright, so I won't scan the book, but it's interesting that in stock form the 1971 401 4v was rated at 330 gross HP (10.2:1 compression); the '72, with 8.5:1 compression, was rated at 255 NET HP, which I think is pretty respectable!

The book has good specs for things like blueprinting, cams, blocks, boring, and such. Plus, some good early 70-s attitude -- from Page 1 "The Man Says: Federal and many State emission laws..." :-)

On the clutch issue, it' states that all AMC engines use the 10.5" clutch, with most using 2000-2500# pressure plates. The 71-2 401s used 2600# plates. Beyond that, they recommend aftermarket pieces with 3000-3200# pp's.

If there's anything specific that can add to this discussion, please let me know!

Best,
Joel
still coveting.
--
Selling my c.1900 country home. Visit my web site for details!!!!
Joel Furtek QuarryHaven