[ihc] Spring Perches

Does anyone know why there are two sets of holes to mount the front leaf spring rear perch?
Mine is mounted in the front set of holes but many others I've seen are mounted in the rear set.
Mine is a '73 half ton 4x4 one I saw yesterday was a half ton 4x2. The end result seems to be some trucks have springs that are about 6 inches longer then others. Whats the advantage either way? Is it that the 4x4 get the sort one and the 4x2 get the long one or is it more to do with the gvw rating?
Any ideas?

Randy