Re: [ihc] Question on tow rig***DIESEL***

Hey!

I like my '97 PowerStroke!  I've had a Banks Chip in
it since 2000 and haven't had a bit of problem.  Pulls
like anything too.  Well, I had to clean the battery
terminals to get home tonight.  It doesn't like this
damp weather any better than I do.

Banks chip, K&N air filter, no muffler, no cat, really
does have a 3.5in straight pipe.  One 45 deg bend to
dump out in front of the right rear wheel.  In many
states a turbocharged diesel doesn't need a muffler
since the turbo does a good job of muffling.

If you're going to pull, get an exhaust pyrometer.
You may have to weld a bung on the turbine outlet
pipe.  The Banks downtube includes a bung, but the
downtube isn't as needed on the newer Fords as the
older ones.  Ford has done a better job with the
exhaust pipe on the newer trucks.

If you're pulling on the highway, no such thing as too
much wheelbase.  I have the extended cab & 8 ft bed
for 155 inch wheelbase and a manual tranny and it's
plenty long enough.  Mine's a /97 F-250 HD, equivalent
to the current F-250 Super Duty.  Can't see buying a
full size truck and then getting a baby truck bed for
it, you might actually want to haul something.

Oh yeah.  I got my new Ranger done with Line-X.
Fantastic job, would do it again in a heartbeat, no
question.

I can't see using an auto tranny in one of these, I
like the manual.  I've done as many as 3 11,000 ft
passes in one day pulling a travel trailer and I like
the manual for making decents, turns them into
non-events.  Auto is better for boat ramp duty though.

Unless you're pulling something heavier than 10,000
lbs I wouldn't get a dually.  There's a bit of extra
lateral stability but I've never needed it.  18
wheelers just don't blow my rig around so why bother.
The extra length of a full crew cab (probably 175 in
wheelbase) is pretty easy to deal with in the city (I
will get one of these next time),  The extra 20 inches
of width from a set of duals is not.  If you only
drive it on the farm, no matter, but if you drive it
in the city, think long and hard about the duals.
They are a colossal pain and uaually not needed.
Drive one at any dealer and try to park it in a
parking lot.

Steve