Re[4]: [ihc] Holley projection help

Hi Mac,
My comments are embedded
Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 12:14:25 AM, you wrote:

MM> unlike the megasquirt, can be adjusted and tuned on the fly while
MM> i'm going down the road, in traffic, under load, whatever the
MM> situation,

If you like having to constantly tune the analog Projection, then it
sounds great :) My idea of fuel injection is tune it once and touch it
never again, like an OEM. MS can provide that if well set up.

And like MS and digital Projection, my anal nature prefers the ability
to change specific variables rather than twiddle 4 pots with a
mishmash of interdependencies.

MM> looks to me like the only way to tune or adjust it is to hook it
MM> up to your laptop computer, and then make adjustments in the
MM> software, test-drive, adjust, test-drive, adjust, etc...

There are 3 ways to tune it,
1) Laptop minimum Pentium I & Windows 95 or Linux / MacOS-X / FreeBSD
2) A PalmPilot or Windows CE
3) MegaView car display unit

MM> somehow trying to make adjustments while you're going down the
MM> road with this thing doesn't seem viable (or safe).

It is pretty much impossible to tune standing still, and no one
advocates the driver tuning. Most of the 250 people who report they
have installed MS used a friend to tune. Several people said they used
their non-mechanical girlfriends or pre-teen children if that gives
you any idea how easy it is to do. Most people have it running well in
1 day and might tweek it occasionally for a week. After that, the
concept of MS was to never have to tune it again if you don't want to.

MM> trying to wire up the megasquirt to work with my XR3000 the way my
MM> Holley already does, something that appears to be nowhere near as
MM> simple as it was to connect the Holley to the XR3000.

There were some tach circuit problems with early edition MSes that
required hardware tuning. Now the tach circuit is very reliable.
However you have the Holley hooked up should work fine. If it is just
tapped on the coil at the primary 400 volts, best to add an inline
resistor. I would be amazed if the Holley hasn't barfed on that. Too
bad Crane did not provide a "logic level" tach out like MSD.

MM> the whole thing seems *way* too complicated just to replace my
MM> ECU, an ECU that already works very well and meets all of my needs.

If you are happy with your ECU, then I agree you shouldn't change. But
the happy Projection users here seem to be in the minority in the
wider EFI world. And I don't think you give yourself enough credit. I
didn't know what I was doing when I started, and I put the MS together
easily in 2 days. The Scout on the otherhand was a 2 year ordeal
trying to prepare for fuel injection, which I basically gave up.

--
Later,                                          http://thegebharts.com
Colin.                                    mailto:colin@domain.elided

My wicked email client is    http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/index.html
No MS Word attachments           http://thegebharts.com/tinyurl/a.html
Money will not buy happiness, but it will let you be unhappy in nice
places. -unattributed