RE: Re[2]: [ihc] Holley projection help

## >> Colin,
## >>
## >> Seems that I paid about $450 back in 98 maybe.  I
## >> can't remember exactly.  That was for the whole
## >> system.  Been running fine.
## >>
## >> Steve

i have to agree.  mine is the earlier analogue version of the Pro-Jection,
it came with the truck when we got it, and once i learned how to work with
it, i've been very happy with it.  2-barrel Pro-Jection, Crane FireBall
XR3000 electrionic ignition, Mallory coil.  very solid dependable system...
when the wiring in the engine compartment doesn't short out (had that happen
a couple times, including once at Allan E's place trying to start the engine
to leave), which makes it nearly impossible to start, but that's not the
fault of the ignition or fuel injection, that's my own fault for improper
maintenance of my electrical system.  when it's working, it's easy to
adjust, easy to tune, and so far as i can tell, unlike the megasquirt, can
be adjusted and tuned on the fly while i'm going down the road, in traffic,
under load, whatever the situation, without any external hardware or
software requirements.  i just twist a knob or two to suit my needs.  i
don't see any knobs or adjustments on the megasquirt...  looks to me like
the only way to tune or adjust it is to hook it up to your laptop computer,
and then make adjustments in the software, test-drive, adjust, test-drive,
adjust, etc...  somehow trying to make adjustments while you're going down
the road with this thing doesn't seem viable (or safe).  nope, not simple
enough for me to take a whack at.

i've been watching the megasquirt for a couple years now, and while it looks
pretty nifty overall, i am not at all confident that i'd be able to
successfully build or install the thing to work with my existing system.
i'm not all that keen on having to assemble it myself, i'm not excited about
having to remove the original wiring harness for the Pro-Jection and replace
it with something new, and i'm even less excited about trying to wire up the
megasquirt to work with my XR3000 the way my Holley already does, something
that appears to be nowhere near as simple as it was to connect the Holley to
the XR3000.  the whole thing seems *way* too complicated just to replace my
ECU, an ECU that already works very well and meets all of my needs.  not to
mention i don't have a laptop that will run their software, so tuning the
thing would not be a trivial exercise for the initial setup and later on if
it needed adjustments.

it looks like a decent enough project for folks who are up to the
challenge...  i'm not one of them, and i'd have to say that at this time i
definitely prefer my Holley ECU to a megasquirt.  maybe if somebody makes a
pre-assembled kit specifically to hook up to the existing Holley wiring
harness, it might spark more interest from me.  if all i had to do was swap
ECUs using the existing plug and wiring that runs into my cab, then i'd be
more willing to have a go with it.  till then, no dice.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton