Fwd: RE: [ihc] 6 door school bus Travelall on e-bay.

On Wednesday, November 10, 2004, at 04:35PM, Ted Borck <tborck@domain.elided> wrote:
>On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 furtek@domain.elided wrote:
>>>...Rocinante

>Steinbeck's truck "Travels With Charley(?)"

Yep.  It was a then-brand-spankin'-new GMC 3/4 ton with a V6 and a frame mounted camper.  It's been restored and is at the Steinbeck center in Salinas, CA.  If he'd chosen an IH, it might not have broken down.

>IIRC, Don Quixote's horse was also named Rocinante.

That was the allusion, folks were scoffing at the 60-y.o., in marginal health, taking off and driving around the country.  Remembering this was 45 years ago.

>It means a broken down old nag [horse].
>Good name for the Travelall in its present condition.

Yep.  I think he's had trouble moving it largely because of the paint.  :-)

>It'd be a good thing to go tilt at windmills with - and camp out of.

My thoughts exactly, and I've been accused (rightly) of such tilting more than once.

>If I still had my place in Georgia - I'd want it.

It's terrific as is for beating about the bush, but imagine it pretty.  Nice platform from which to work, travel, live.

Best to all,
Joel

>--
>Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided

Joel Furtek
202 Douglas Ave Unit 2B
Charlottesville, VA  22902
1-434-228-0993 (local cell)
<http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>
Selling my c.1900 Waltons country home -- see my web site!