RE: Re[2]: [ihc] IH deuce and a halfs; some clarification

## >> I've worked on several M-2-4s.  They are 4x4, single rear
## >> wheel, 1 ton,
## >> open cab pickups.  A friend of mine sold one just this past year that
## >> had a BD swapped in.  A neat truck.  Same lug pattern and Budd wheels
## >> as the Dodge 3/4 ton military trucks and civvy PW.  It has a *similar*
## >> look to the open cab Dodges of the same era.

i stand corrected.  in the Crismon book it's shown both ways, dual as well
as single.  up to now i thought the picture on page 182 of the M-2-4 firing
a salvo of 4.5-inch rockets had dual rears, but after your post i looked
closer and see that it's only got singles.  there is another M-2-4 on page
176 with single rear wheels.  the one shown at the top right of page 182 has
duals, as does the initial entry for the M-2-4 in the book, on page 167.

i'm not positive about the Dodge trucks, but the M-2-4 has 6-lug wheels, as
does the M-3-4 and M-5H-6.  the production model M-1-4 has five lugs, though
the prototype of that truck had six.

## >> There was an M-2-4 that sold here in CO last year that had a closed
## >> cab swapped on.  It looked very nice that way.  This was a common swap
## >> on the Dodges as well.

the same picture of the dual rear wheel M-2-4 on page 182 happens to be a
closed cab truck.  the text says it was a Class 500 crash truck for the US
Navy.  perhaps the Navy ordered their crash trucks with enclosed cabs for
crew protection.  you're right, though, it looks pretty good like that.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton