Re: [ihc] Scout II front end question

The angle brackets for the inside shackles sound like the factory "sway
bar" mounting arrangement that became standard on 1/1/74, but the angle
iron between the shackles isn't the stock bar.  The stock bar was a flat
piece of steel, 3/8" x 2 3/4".  Depending upon the size of your angle, it
is likely stiffer than the stock bar.

It is interesting to note that while this was advertised as a sway bar,
the original intent of it was an anti-shimmy device.  During 1973, we had
a problem with a batch of ball joints that did not have enough internal
friction which permitted the knuckles to move too easily and under
certain conditions, a sustained shimmy would be experienced.  This would
stop only when the vehicle slowed drastically or stopped.  This shimmy
was caused by a bump or other input causing one wheel to turn to one side
side a small amount, the tie rod then pulling the other wheel, which in
turn would cause in input to the first wheel, and a sort of harmonic
oscillation would occur.  The bar between the shackles altered the
natural frequency of the front end enough to get away from the sustained
motion, but it sold better when it was called a sway bar.

Howard